STREUfex products are made exclusively from top quality grain straw. STREUfex is produced in Lumberton, NC, using straw from local farmers. During the production process, steam temperature reaches 195 degrees, reducing bacteria, yeast and mold, commonly found in unprocessed straw, to barely measurable amounts. All dust and small particles are removed before pelletizing. The horse´s well being, economy of use, reduced disposal and reuse incentives are only some of the reasons why serveral legends of the industry are already using STREUfex with great success.
10 Unbeatable Benefits of STREUfex
- High Absorption: The amount of liquid absorbed by STREUfex is 4 to 5 times the amount of its weight. Urine will be absorbed in one small, visible area that is replaced by clean bedding every day. Manure is coated and can be removed easily.
- Virtually Dust Free: Fine particles of straw are extracted during the production of STREUfex. Making STREUfex your number one choice in bedding. Especially, for horses prone to common respiratory ailments.
- Cost Effective: A 12 x 12 ft. stall requires only 6 bags for initial setup. For maintenance, add one to two bags per week. Reduces cleaning time and quantity of disposal.
- Odor Free: The excellent absorption properties of STREUfex ensure maximum capture of ammonia, keeping your barn clean, dry and smelling fresh.
- Will Not Consume: Due to the manufacturing process, a pleasant aroma is produced. However, horses find its taste undesirable.
- Outstanding Insulation: STREUfex forms a base, which stays intact even if the horse moves around. Thick, even coverage of stall floors ensures that horses are protected from cold or dampness.
- Therapeutic: As STREUfex breaks down in the stall, it spreads a therapeutic cushion on the floor. Providing a soft comfortable bed for sore or tired muscles and joints. In the case of STREUfex, less is better. A two-inch layer is optimum usage.
- Less Muck: Greatly reduces amount of disposal through less product. Removed bedding decomposes into high-quality fertilizer within two to three weeks.
- Superior Compost: STREUfex manure is fast biodegradable and is quickly broken down into a high-quality humus which can be used as an organic soil additive.
- Conveniently Packaged: STREUfex is packaged in 30 lb. bags, providing ease of use and storage.
The Handling of STREUfex
- STREUfex is different from raw straw or shavings. Therefore, handling of this bedding is different as well. There are very important guidelines to follow in order to use STREUfex properly and to recive the maximum benefits.
- STREUfex works best on rubber mats, asphalt, concrete or wood floors. Dirt or clay floors, no matter how compact, are not ideal surfaces because STREUfex tends to pull the moisture out of the dirt, resulting in a dry powder surface, creating a high dust level.
- For the initial bedding add 6 bags per 30 lbs of STREUfex bedding material for a 12 x 12 ft. stall. STREUfex breaks down into small straw fibers and this very thin layer will expand within 2 days to a compact, yet soft layer of about 2 to 3 inches. This is the correct thickness for easy daily maintenance and for the comfort of the horse.
- Due to its advanced absorption and expansion qualities, STREUfex should never be watered down.
- For daily maintenance remove manure and wet areas only. A pitchfork with narrow tines, preferably with a basket, works best to clean the stall. This type of pitchfork allows shaking to release excess dry STREUfex from the fork. After locating the wet spots, pull away the good material from spot before taking out the wet material to prevent removing too much of the dry material.
- It is not necessary to turn the whole stall over. Straw and shavings are moved against the walls during the daily cleaning and moved backwards to create an even layer again. It should not be done with STREUfex, because the old material is then mixed with the new material. The wet material must be removed but the slightly damp material should not be cleaned out but moved to the area where the horse urinates primarily to clean it out the next time if it is fully wet with urine.
- Because of the low amount taken out during the daily maintenance, it is not necessary to replace bedding with new material daily. One bag every 4 to 7 days is sufficient replacement. Before replacement of a new bag bring the existing material from outside walls to the area the horse urinates primarily. Place the new material on the outer edges of the stall. This creates a rotation and refreshment of the bedding during usage. There will be no need to strip the entire stall if you do not mix the fresh bedding with the existing bedding.
- The amount of waste will be reduced by 60 to 70% compared to raw straw or shavings. Removed STREUfex-manure is a fast biodegradable material and decomposes into an all natural high quality fertilizer within 2 to 3 weeks which can be spread on fields or grasslands. No acids are created during the breakdown process. Therefore, STREUfex compost has a positive impact to the soil.
- STREUfex is also well usable as bedding for goats, sheep, dogs and small animals like cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits birds, etc.